Q. Can the Council get rid of wasps?
- Only on Council owned property. On private property people will need to contact a pest control person. Try the yellow pages of the Telephone Directory.
Q. Does the Council supply animal traps?
- The Council DOES NOT provide animal traps.
- Cat traps can be hired from Mr Adam Higgins of North West Animal and Pest Control by phoning 0418 525 362.
Q. How high can you build a boundary fence before you have to submit a plan?
- The following fencing is exempt from requiring a planning permit:
i) side and rear boundary fences and retaining walls that do not adjoining a road or reserve or exceed a combined height of 2.1m; and
ii) front fences and retaining walls that do adjoin a road reserve but do not exceed 1.2m above natural ground level and are not on a site listed on
the Tasmanian Heritage Register.
- The following fencing is exempt from requiring a building permit:
i) 2.1m high for a timber / colorbond fence;
ii) 1.2m high for a brick / stone fence.
Q. If a boundary fence is shared by Council and a Rate payer does the Council share the cost?
The Council does not contribute to the fencing of roads (including car parks) and public reserves, unless:
- (1) the car park is situated within the boundaries of the central business districts of Ulverstone and Penguin and the shopping centre at West Ulverstone as defined by a planning scheme; and
- (2) the reserves and car parks [other than a car park referred to in point (1)] are land which is not open to the public generally;
- and in respect of (1) and (2) above and all other lands the Council contribute one-half of the cost of fencing;
- providing always and in every case that the Council is satisfied that such works are necessary
Q. Does Council trim vegetation encroaching from private property to private property.
- Council may however trim vegetation that is encroaching from council property to private property.